Educational Games vs Educational TV ShowsApr 30, 2017 | 1 Votes by shilpa 10 rate Education games and educational TV shows... which of these are best for your child? We scoured the internet for an answer in this informative article.
The education system has changed today with the use of modern technology used in the classrooms. According to the research it is shown that most of the students perform better in the subjects that they are interested in.
To find which modern technology works effectively for the children while learning between the passive viewing technology where the children can attend classes, listen to the lectures or watch educational games and shows on TV such as National Geographic, Discovery Channel or the interactive learning technology which offers educational TV shows such as quiz shows and interactive video games.
Passive Viewing Technology
It is a learning method where the children receive information from teachers either by listening to a lecture, looking at the images in the PowerPoint or watching a video of educational games. The passive learning is a technique where the learner receives information in the form of memorization and the learner doesn’t get any feedback from the teacher. The passive viewing technology is mainly teacher-centric and it does not allow any interaction between student and teacher. The student has to learn more by watching and by a sense of understanding.
Most of the students love watching TV and spend much time watching various channels such as National Geopraphics, Discovery and many other where they find interesting and informative documentaries and shows. These shows are part of passive learning and are designed to offer informative knowledge to the students.
• The passive form of learning exposes to new topics and new material while listening to the lecture or watching a video.
• The passive learning activity helps in controlling larger audience at a time.
• The passive form of learning offers educational games which are well-structured and in an engaging form.
• The passive form of learning helps in presenting a large amount of information in a short time.
• The passive form of learning can facilitate the information which is unique and not yet published.
• It needs students assumption to understand the subject matter described in the lecture by the teacher of in the video.
• The passive learners absorb information and knowledge without getting engaged with the information or the entire learning process.
• The passive learners neither interact with teacher nor do they share insights. It is one-sided learning without having any dialogue.
• Passive learning offers the educational games which are more informative, but having less fun which students find boring.
• The passive learning offers limited opportunity for the students to interact with the teacher or to ask a question.
• Passive learning is mainly depends on the skill of presentation of a lecture by the teacher or the quality and format of the video or presentation slides.
The information offered in the passive learning is in condensed form and the emphasize is given more on repeating the information. The passive learning does not allow to have the reflection of understanding.
The technology relating to interactive games when introduced while learning in the classrooms or at home, is always beneficial. It helps the students to get involved in the subject from the beginning and it makes the learning process interactive and interesting. The use of technology for creating educational resources such as video portals, success tracking systems, multimedia games, educational games and interactive websites.
• The interactive games help the students to learn the subjects with an open eye. It helps them to imagine, think and relate the information learnt in a better way.
• The interactive games help the students in getting engaged in various subjects through fun learning activities. It creates interest in the young minds and it enhances the desire to learn more.
• The interactive learning helps the students in learning and utilizing the skills they acquired by playing an interactive game. For eg. The game of making words helps in learning the new words as well as the spelling.
• The educational based interactive games allow the student to learn the skills faster and makes the student a better performer.
• The interactive games are needed to be developed according to the subjects or the topics required, which is always a challenging task.
• The interactive games can become a drawback to the learners, if the games are not designed properly.
• The learners get addicted to the interactive games and always prefer to learn by playing games which is not always possible.
• Interactive games have the systematically developed online programs which can not offer human interactions.
• Interactive games offer many benefits over passive learning, but interactive learning cannot be made available for thousands of students at a time.
When we discuss about the best educational practices for the children. The use of modern technology is definitely an advantage for them to learn with fun. But along with the interactive learning, passive learning should also be made of part of the education. It will surely help the learners in enhancing their skills better using both technologies. A child can learn things better by either watching an educational show on TV or by playing an interactive game of cartoons, we have to let the child decide it.